Bright Instruments Limited is a privately owned business. They supply a quality range of cryostats, microtomes, freezing units and accessories to pathology, histopathology, immunology, life sciences, research and industrial testing & quality control laboratories world-wide.
5040 Rotary Microtome
The popular 5040 microtome is of rotary retracting, self-lubricating design and has a heavy cast alloy base and cutting arm. Its robust construction makes it accurate and incredibly reliable.
The use of fixed beryllium hinges means that all lateral motion is controlled and allows no slop or play that can be experienced in other, lesser designs which can result in ‘chatter’ and ‘thick and thinning’. Its pawl and ratchet wheel and head-advance design ensures absolute calibration for section thickness accuracy and repeatability.
Features of the 5040 Rotary Microtome
- Easy to use rotary retracting microtome with wide range of optional features
- Choice of advance/rewind handle positions
- Motor drive with zone control is available
- Of hard wearing construction and maintenance free
- Standard knife holder accepts most conventional knives
- Quick release feather blade holder can be fitted
- Specimen feed indicator
- Safety features include fitted knife guards and locking handwheel
Based on the long-established and reliable OTF/AS cryostat, the new OTF5000 brings the extensive range of Bright cryostats completely up to date. New styling coupled with improved user ergonomics, the latest blade systems in the ever-reliable and powerful 5040 microtome, a huge choice of options plus money-saving package deals make these cryostats absolutely unique.
They are suitable for an endless range of applications and, in the correct configuration, are capable of cutting a wide diversity of specimens from undecalcified bone to brain, resins, plastics and plant tissue, as well as more usual soft tissue. Allowing full anti-roll plate adjustment for perfect results coupled with long lasting temperature stability, the OTF5000 Cryostat can truly be described as complete.
OTF5000 Cryostat Microtome Features
- New contoured top for added operator comfort and usability
- Suitable for research and clinical operation
- 2 money-saving special packages availablet
- Uses solid knives or disposable blades including new lever release Feather blade holder
- Available in 2 different working heights
- Automatic evaporator defrost supplied as standard
- Non-urgent functions on side panel
- Long list of options and accessories
- Contains tried and tested 5040 rotary microtome
The Clini-RF is a new type of freezer designed to rapidly freeze specimens for sectioning or processing.
It has a lower chamber which can be filled with 3M’s Novec 7100, into which specimens can be immersed. 3M’s Novec is the only freezing liquid that can be used due to it being none inflammble. Alternatively, an aluminium block can be incorporated, into which a specimen holder or chuck can be fitted. The upper chamber is used as a short term storage area for specimens after they have been initially frozen in the lower chamber.
The Clini-RF eliminates the need to use potentially hazardous substances such as carbon dioxide and liquid nitrogen. In order to save power, the compressor for the lower chamber can be manually switched off when it is not required and the Clini-RF will run in a ‘standby’ mode with the upper chamber still running at -40ºC.
A seven day timing device is available as an optional feature to automate switching between the ‘standby’ and ‘operational’ modes. An additional optional feature is a variable temperature control for temperatures above -80ºC.
Features of the Clini-RF Laboratory Freezer
- Replaces liquid nitrogen freezing systems
- Replaces carbon dioxide freezing systems of all types
- Offers a distinct improvement in laboratory safety
- Easy to use, therefore little operator training is required
- Upper chamber available for storage at -40ºC
- Holds 3M’s Novec 7100 for immersion of specimens
- Typical tissue cooling rate of 0.5ºC/s
The 8000 retracting base sledge microtome offers the ultimate in versatility combined with strength, accuracy, reliability and, not least, safety.
Designed to meet the needs of the routine histology laboratory, the 8000 will also meet the more demanding requirements of the specialised unit where its versatility and wide range of accessories will guarantee that it becomes the first choice of the professional base sledge user.
The 8000 microtome is well suited to cutting a wide range of materials including bone, plastics, resins and wood as well as large area soft tissues and is the first of its kind to incorporate retraction on the return stroke.
Features of the 8000 Sledge or Sliding Microtome
- Easy to use base sledge retracting microtome complete with standard vice
- 60µm retraction on the return stroke prevents possible specimen damage
- Angled and slewable knife holder for greater versatility
- Accepts a range of knives and disposable blades
- Safety features include knife guards and low positioned operating handle
- Range of stages available
For some sectioning work, it is necessary to cool a specimen below room temperature. The Solid State Freezer can be fitted to most microtomes and will permit specimen cooling from ambient to -25ºC or lower, depending on conditions. The equipment consists of a cooling stage and a control unit. The cooling stage is best suited for operation with a base sledge microtome, but can be fitted to most rotary microtomes.
Features of the Solid State Freezer for Microtomes
- Turns a microtome into a freezing microtome
- Will fit most other manufacturers’ equipment
- Choice of two stage sizes
- Easy to defrost
- Many other uses around the laboratory where small area freezing is required